What testing software really taught me...

... has little to do with methodologies, tools and projects.

Obviously, testing software is a technical endeavour, which is ever more critical and complicated in this other world we are building with every screen, application and system.
Pen, Marker, Hand, The Hand, To Write
https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2014/08/25/22/54/pen-427516__340.png

But testing software is also a tremendous opportunity to test oneself as a human and as a professional. It teaches life skills! The defects in you ... are you going to find them? be bothered to report them to yourself? be able to realistically assess their severity and ramifications? Will you know how to manage them? how to fix them? a workaround for now or the maybe the painful, costly or radical solution? The list of life teachings from testing software gets longer than I initially thought!

  • Patience
Let me not rush to conclusions; it may not be what I first think it is. Some defects are deep or devious. I will repeat the test and document the findings for the benefit of the team - and my own, when the same issue or a similar one will surface after all was done, implemented and forgotten.

  • Humility
I am not infallible. I made and will make mistakes. They will be found - by me or by others. I learn technically from them. I forbid myself to waste time and energy to cover them up or assign blame (even if it's due!). I swallow my pride, put my guilt to the rest and "roll up the sleeves" to fix the bug.

  • Kindness
When defects are found, I am kind to myself - and to others. Helping out, keeping a positive mindset and a non-judgmental tone in communication will help me resolve the issue and maintain  collaboration. Kindness precludes defensiveness and allows me to understand a different perspective.

  • Resiliency
Sometimes the task at hand is boring, tough or insidious. I brace myself! Not all parts of my work will be interesting or flashy but they certainly are necessary. If I think they are not, fast forward to Inquisitiveness and Honesty.

  • Thoroughness
Being thorough with the important stuff and not sweat the small stuff is a matter of skill but also requires experience and Discipline. Thoroughness breeds credibility and self-confidence. It is a distinguishing mark of the professional but it will transfer in other areas of one's activity.

  • Honesty
I don't cut corners, and if I am pressed to do it, for budgetary or time constraints, I must be open about it, to myself primarily, and bring it up with team and manager. Honesty goes and in hand with competence; I have to know what I am doing and why. Also admit when I don't...Kindness and Humility, again!

  • Discipline
Sometimes I am carried away by parts of the work that are more interesting or easy or, on the contrary - tougher! I learned to get the easy stuff out of the way first so that I can concentrate on the big stuff. Also not to skip or dismiss the beaten path and the necessary evils.

  • Creativity
There will not always be a beaten path, and that's a good thing because I will need to create one. But let me not reinvent the wheel, just because I was not Patient enough to see if one in fact has already been created, or because it's more fun. Here is where Creativity needs to meet Discipline and Humility.

  • Inquisitiveness
I am not becoming a machine, I need to ask "why" and "how" and "what if". That's how I build my edge in testing but also beyond - at the risk of becoming annoying. Here is where I also need Kindness and Courage!

  • Courage
Sometimes asking too much, probing too much, discovering too much, exploring too much, exposing too much (see "Inquisitiveness"!) becomes risky for the project or the team dynamic. I may be Honest, but will I have the Courage to disclose and proclaim my findings?
  • Sharing
If I found the source of a defect - and a fix for it, I don't make it into a "secret weapon" or "job security" prop. I learned it's best to share the knowledge and lead by example. This makes it more likely the defect will not reoccur.

  • Seeing the whole picture
Sometimes a defect irritates me to no end, especially when it's recurring. Other times I fail to see a deep ramification of a failed test. In both cases, it is important to understand the perspective of other stakeholders to realistically assess the severity and priority. This approach is very useful in life too.

  • Keep calm and carry on
A tough one! Whether the stupid defect was not fixed (yet again) and the revelation happens in my home office or in the open space of the office, it is better to take a deep breath, keep emotions in check and uphold decorum. Not panicking is key in testing, as it is in life...


2020 Feb 26

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mobility of the workforce: how far have we come, how far will we go ? (2003)

Retirement rituals: parting (not partying!) with a gift

From Shakespeare to IM: does language still matter ? (2003)